Friday, March 26, 2010

Vintage Photos

This is a quick little popcorn entry. I like my iPhone. I hate the iPhone camera - the image quality is terrible.

A friend, however, pointed me toward an iPhone app called Hipstamatic that instantly applies effects to your shots giving them a 1960's-70's look. It takes the iPhone camera's weakness and turns into a benefit, sorta.

I don't know about you, but nearly all of my baby photos have an instamatic, 35mm feel to them, so I've enjoyed taking a step back in time while taking pictures of modern day people.

The photo to the right is a picture of Benjamin taken a few nights ago, but it seriously could pass for a photo of me when I was 2 years old. Some days Benjamin looks like me and some days I think I put the wrong baby in the car from the grocery store.

But this photo brought me pause as I admired the details of the vintage look and how it seemed to seal this moment of time in amber. Seeing this photo brought back a rush of my own good memories as a kid in Virginia - playing in the snow, raking leaves, trick or treating. It made me realize that Benjamin and other kids will have a hard drive with 5,000 hi-res 10MB snapshots to look through as their "baby book." Which makes me think they won't treasure them as much as the people that may have 100-150 aging pieces of film that was their childhood.

So I'm going to try and take some antiquated shots to give Benjamin something vintage to look at when and if he cares to do in the future. The sad thing is that now I will truly look like a tourist when we go out with my SLR in one hand and my iPhone in the other. This is where "dad's a dork" starts I suppose.

1 comment:

Danny said...

Aw, '70s Emily is a cutie.