Monday, January 5, 2009

The World's Most Annoying Sound


(Yeah, yeah, yeah...make with the posts. December was a rough month and my time off didn't really seem like time off. More to come soon, I think I'm going to go for shorter more frequent posts)

Have you seen "Dumb and Dumber"? There's a scene where Jim Carrey's character (Lloyd Christmas) is on a road trip with a stranger and he asks the guy if he wants to hear the world's most annoying sound. He then lets out this grating, tinny sound that drives you crazy. I am pleased to report that Benjamin has become the new champion of annoying sounds.

He is capable of a noise that's hard for me to physically replicate. It's a mix of a cry, a yelp, a frustrated grunt and a malfunctioning clock radio alarm. And he does it...all...the...time. The first couple of times you hear it you rush over to help him do whatever he is doing. Then you realize he's doing it for effect and attention. So then you ignore it - ignore as much as you can a bombing raid or a train locomoting behind your house. I think I've mentioned before that our house echoes too, so that amplifies the noise and sends it directly into our eardrums.

Needless to say, I love him lots but I can't wait for him to talk.

2 comments:

The Clem Family said...

Too funny! My niece went through that phase too...her noise was more like a bird call. The good news is that it is a phase and will pass! I love his little teeth!!!

Anonymous said...

Two words...sign language.
-Liz