Friday, February 22, 2008

Baby Skin


So many cosmetic companies tout their products as "baby soft" or "smooth as a baby's bottom" - this is simply false advertising. There is nothing on Earth softer than a newborn baby's skin. The only rival I can possibly think of is an angel's hair that has been recently cream rinsed.

Benjamin's skin and hair are so soft, in fact, there are times when my fingers can't even register that I'm touching something - void of friction, void of surface tension, void of capillary detection.

His skin makes mine feel like a dry Acme® brick covered in five o'clock shadow. Which makes me wonder what he must be feeling as I dredge my mitts across his soft, chubby cheek - over, and over, and over again.


You know what's not soft on a baby? Their fingernails. I was all up in his face giving him an Eskimo kiss and SNIKT, he swiped my forehead with his Wolverine claw. It didn't hurt, but much like a paper cut, it was a severe annoyance. Probably worthy of a Purple Heart in the French Army (le zing!).


We would trim them, but both of us are nervous about clipping or filing his nails down, the same way he don't like to trim our dog's nails. Because if you mess up, overshoot the nail by a micron...we're talking
pain jack, serious scream your guts out, call Child Protective Services - pain. So we may let it ride and just insist that he takes an interest in playing the guitar or banjo.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Dale, we ran into the same problem with Sydney and her nails. We learned in the little class we took before we had Sydney that you can bite them off. I know it sounds kind-a gross, but it does really work. I still do not clip Sydney’s with fear of hurting her. I just bit it on the side and get it started and then rip them off. That way you can’t get the quick. It really helped so that Sydney did not scratch her own face (and sure it helped her not to scratch mine, but that was a bonus ) Take care…..