Monday, February 18, 2008

I'm already tired of washing my hands


I am a pretty neat and tidy person, some of you would call this an understatement. But in the past week I have washed my hands so many times, you may not be able to fingerprint me. Let the cat-burgling begin!

I have always washed up after bathroom breaks and before cooking, etc. but it has never been an activity that randomly hits me, "Hmm...I think I'll wash my hands, just cuz!" But I've caught myself doing that a couple of times, just in case a baby touching event is about to happen. There is also a direct correlation to my increase in hand washing with my increase in handling poo-poo.

We keep a bottle of hand soap in our guest bathroom and it seriously seems to last us a month or two. Now, I would be surprised if it lasts the week. Time to rework the budget I suppose.

I do not like hand sanitizer, there is just something wrong with a liquid that instantly evaporates taking all of the bio-material on your hands with it. Theoretically, if it is airborne, won't we inhale it? A guy at Proctor & Gamble is reading and just stole my idea for Nostril and Mouth Sanitizer.

I'm sure all of this mega-cleanliness will fade when the baby still gets sick, and I rationalize that all of my scrub-a-dubbing is a waste of time. Plus, I don't want to become a parent that sterilizes every single thing a child comes in contact with. I am a big believer in keeping a healthy amount of bacteria in and on our bodies to help protect against the really bad kind. That's why I'm going to rub Benjamin down every night with active-culture yogurt, and follow the instructions on the container and put the "fruit on the bottom".

2 comments:

The Clem Family said...

What a sweetheart...he is so cute and so alert in the picture! Also, I love the name you guys selected for him. We cannot wait to see you both again and to meet you new little boy. Please let us know if you have any special dinner requests for Friday.

Mom said...

Your Grandmother was hyper-sanitary, always cleaning, sterilizing, wiping restaurant silverware under the table.... One day at a big family dinner I was fussy and Grandma said she didn't know what was wrong with me. Someone said I was probably teething and to rub her finger over my gums and see if she felt some tooth buds. Grandma gasped at the thought of putting her fingers in my mouth so they told her to, of course, boil them first!