Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Love of a Big Brother


It may be news to some of you, but Benjamin is actually our 2nd child. Emily and I adopted our first child in 2003 and he has been the sole recipient of our love, wisdom and discipline. Sure, he is covered in hair and poops outside, but a parent's love knows no bounds. I am of course talking about our beagle/cocker spaniel wonder-mutt, Schmax.

I have a special place in my heart for dogs. The only times I have teared up at the cineplex was during the Passion of the Christ and Homeward Bound. I wanted to sack Mike Vick right between the numbers the more I heard about his deprave canine escapades.
I just love dogs and everything they represent. Except Chihuahuas, those were grown in a lab somewhere.

Schmax is a great pooch. And he is a little "special." Out of all of the dogs in the free-world, we of course adopt one with allergies; allergies so bad that he will literally scratch his ears until they bleed. Thus the $50 dog food and the cone he is cursed to wear like a scarlet "C". All of this is to set up the fact that not only was Schmax the top dog (groan) in our house, we cared for him in special ways. Needless to say Emily and I were VERY interested (concerned) to see (monitor) how Schmax would react (pounce) when we brought home a new lifeform that requires even more attention than slapping on a plastic cone.

Without having any background whatsoever in zoological studies, I have been able to observe both subjects in their natural habitats, trying not to insert my presence unless it is totally necessary. My findings follow the classic stages of grief:

Denial: This was incredibly easy to spot. "Hey Schmax, come meet your baby...Schmax...hello...o-kay." He gave Benajmin an initial sniff and then went about his arduous schedule of sleeping 21 hours a day. We would try to coax him to come out and he clearly preferred to lick himself.

Anger: Luckily this one hasn't truly manifested into anything physical. It was more passive-aggressive. The 2nd day we were home, Schmax walked over to the pack-n-play and saw Benjamin. He then shot a glare, dripping with humanism, that we interpreted as "Hmph, HE'S still here? Whatever." It was starting to seep into his lemon-sized brain that this "thing" was going to be here awhile.

Bargaining: This was the funniest to me. If Emily or I were ooh'ing or aah'ing over Benjamin, Schmax would quickly run up to me with one of his squeaky toys, as if to say "Hey, remember how much playing 'chase' is with me? Let's play it right now, c'mon, whatareyouwaitingfor?!?"

Acceptance: Schmax has made a breakthrough. He is still curious at this new creature and all of the new sounds and smells, but he seems a lot more comfortable with the new family dynamic. In fact, and this is a true story, Benjamin was laying on our couch 2 days ago and Schmax hopped up on the couch and dropped his precious football toy next to Benjamin.

It was a sweet moment, despite our baby being covered in toy slobber and our dog hopping on the couch (a forbidden zone punishable by death). But that's what dogs do, they just love. And I can't wait to teach Benjamin about what a cool older brother he has in Schmax. And I truly can't wait for the day when my two boys and I can watch Homeward Bound together.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Very cute picture! They will be best buddies! One day Benjamin will be riding poor Schmax little back and having a ball and Schmax will just let him......