Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The First Trip Away


It's late. I'm physically beat, but my mind is still on West Coast time. I had to travel for work this week, making this the first time away from the baby for any real length. And it was a bit of a personal dilemma - I didn't want to leave Emily and Benjamin per se, but the trip required me to go to the Presidio in SanFran (home of Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic) to view some hush-hush stuff. Needless to say my dork meter was redlined.

I was excited about the trip, I enjoyed the trip, I'm glad I went on the trip. But the flip side of the coin is talking to Emily on the phone and hearing between the lines and detecting that she would REALLY like me to step into a teleportation device and be there right then. Other than consoling words and sweet nothings, I couldn't really do much. And I'm sure in the dark recesses of her mind she was picturing Obi-Dale Kenobi having the time of my life playing Dejarik holo-chess with my new Wookie friends and blasting womprats. Well she is mistaken...we were blasting Ewoks.

I did load my iTouch with pictures of both E & B and enjoyed looking at them when the whimsy hit me - it so beats have the trifold picture holder in your wallet which usually holds, mildly bent and sweaty outdated pictures of your family. I beat down a stewardess on my return flight with an impromptu slideshow - "Conception to Present: A Benjamin Alexander Retrospective Pt. 1"

That's all I got. Like I said it's late. It did feel nice to pick him up from a snooze and sniff his baby hair. He never opened his eyes, but he did wince at my cold hands so at least he knows that Daddy's home.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Hi! Hope this doesn't seem weird, but I'm a writer working on a story for Parents magazine about leaving your baby overnight, and in doing my research I stumbled across your blog post about this. I'd love to email you a few questions about leaving your baby behind when you travel. Please let me know if that's okay! I'm at mw at melodywarnick dot com. And you can see more about me at melodywarnick.com. Thanks!