Friday, April 4, 2008

Night Shift


Working a night shift can't be fun. Even if your job was "professional leisurist", I really believe that your body and mind are better off sleeping when it's dark and waking when it's light. I've always been a nightowl, however, and when I sleep I'm thankfully out until my trusty alarm clock beeps at me in that familiar generic tone. So I genuinely don't hear Benjamin crying in the night, I promise.

And fortunately Emily has been such a great sport that she goes in there to tend to his needs when he cries while I'm off to Sleepytown to play lazer-hockey with Millard Filmore and Bea Arthur. So the news that makes everyone happy in our house is that young Benjamin slept for around 8 hours TWO (noncontiguous) nights last week. That's right folks, 8 hours through the night with no crying, waking, feeding, bathing, changing. Emily was elated to taste the ambrosia of deep REM sleep for the first time in a long time. I told her she should have joined me for doubles lazer-hockey.

Everyone we shared our news with tempered our expectations that we had more than likely caught lightning in a bottle, and not to expect this to be the norm. Emily and I are choosing to be positive, we see the Sandman's bag as half full. And they clearly don't know how Ambien® For Kids works.

No comments: