Wednesday, May 7, 2008

World's Most Boring Bachelor


First, let me apologize to the three people still reading this about taking forever to write an entry - perfect combination of work, travel and life junk. Now...let's PARTY!!!

Emily has been and will be at a work retreat in east Texas all week. Before you call Child Protective Services and give them my address I should let you know that Benjamin is with her. So not only is Emily being a mommy and a food-source, she is also running a retreat for 50 people. I've already filled out the paperwork for sainthood.

So that leaves lil' ol me at home left to my own devices - this is where the boring comes in. I mentioned my newfound bachelordom to some people at work and they were excited for me, "Aw man, you're gonna go out like EVERY night!" or "Dude you should host like a POKER party or something (high-five)!"

Let's see how I've used my time: cleaned the house, took Schmax on long walks, worked out the proper amount of time I would like to, read some magazines, feared Obama's nomination and played a very humble amount of video games. And the kicker is that I have LOVED every minute of it. Which brings me to the Benjamin related point of reflection, I haven't missed him in the way I hear other people talking about missing their kids or the way they depict it in movies/TV. This makes me ponder again, am I a robot with no heart?

The first thing I did when they left was banish every baby related item back from whence it came in the nursery - I was reminded of what our furniture actually looked like. Then I turned on my euro-techno music to levels that would typically disturb a baby. Followed by Schmax and I roughhousin' all over the place. Which led to using the blender to make a smoothie at 11PM. And all of these small things really made me happy, which is sad.

Do I secretly wish I was single? No. Do I miss the things I did before a baby? There's no deny it, I clearly have not completely severed my ties to the Old World. So now the question is will I harbor ill feelings when Emily and Benjamin come back and I can't be all Burger King and have it my way? No, I'll probably suck it up and keep a stiff upper lip and try to continue being the helpful partner that I've been. But I can tell you this, I'm definitely checking the calendar to see when Emily leaves on her next retreat.

(Good news, I just looked at the clothes basket picture again and I felt a flutter of emotion. Therefore, I am not a robot. 101101001001001!!!!)

1 comment:

trey kazee said...

i totally get this - last night i had a similar evening, complete with photo editing, a smattering of television while eating, and a house-rumbling viewing of "layer cake" on the big screen (blu-ray, of course).

i've got some good news for you, though - obama is gonna win, and he'll be better than any alternative. ;-)